What To Do When Faced With Internship Challenges



Welcome Back! Today, I am going to give you a quick update on a recent challenge I faced with my internship, and how I overcame it. Before we get into it, I promise to not make this post as long as my last one! I hope that my tips and tricks will help anyone who is in need of some advice and showcase my problem solving skills that were recently put to the test.

As a Public Relations professional, my job is mainly to control the image of a company or person. Usually, I will do this through social media, blog posts, websites, media outreach and more. If you don't know by now, I'm working with Dynamo Metrics, and I'm building their social presence through Twitter and LinkedIn. If you'd like to check our their accounts, I will link them down below!

I love working for this company and this internship has been an amazing learning opportunity. I decided to share my truth about any struggles I've faced in order to help other interns out there who may also be facing issues. I feel like every experience that I've learned from is an experience worth sharing.

Issue #1: Setting Up My Initial Meeting

Before initially meeting with Dynamo, I thought that my partner and I were supposed to contact Dynamo together and set up a meeting where both of us could discuss the goals of the internship together. I waited to hear back from my partner before contacting Dynamo only to realize that she had already reached out, and we were expected to work separately. I immediately reached out to Dynamo's receptionist, Angey, in an attempt to set up an initial meeting. Five days later, I had followed up via email and called Nigel, but I had not yet gotten a response. Of course, I was panicking because my initial meeting was supposed to be set up by the next day.

I problem solved by quickly emailing Bud Gibson, who is overlooking the internship, and let him know that I had not yet received a response. Bud responded quickly to me and reached out to Dynamo as well. Within four minutes, I received a response from Dynamo, and I was able to set up my initial meeting for the next day.

Issue #2: Twitter

The next problem I faced was Dynamo's Twitter account being temporarily restricted. I initially asked for social media login information when I first started working with Dynamo, and I was initially just given LinkedIn login information. After meeting again, I had set up a social media content calendar and designed an initial blog post. I was ready to begin designing posts, so I asked for the Twitter information. I was given a link to their Tweet Deck, which is amazing for scheduling tweets. Unfortunately, I was not able to edit Dynamo's profile with the Tweet Deck link, and as soon as I realized this, I asked for the login information.

When I was given the information, Twitter temporarily restricted Dynamo's account because of unusual behavior. As soon as I realized that the public no longer had access to Dynamo's Twitter, I crafted an email to Nigel letting him know that the account owner needed to complete certain steps in order to unlock the account. Nigel made the necessary communications with the account owner, unlocked the account, and I am now able to post on Twitter again!

Overall, the biggest lesson that I hope you learn from my stories is that communication is key in solving issues. Once you figure out what the issue is, find the right people that can help you solve the issue. Without clear, concise communication, none of these issues would've been solved. That is all for today, I hope you guys enjoyed!

-Jess

Follow Me! 
Instagram.com/jessrobine
Twitter.com/_jesslynnn

Check Out My CDE Blog Posts! 
http://www.centerfordigitalengagement.org/2019/07/career-secrets-of-director-of-marketing.html
http://www.centerfordigitalengagement.org/2019/07/3-keys-to-career-success.html
http://www.centerfordigitalengagement.org/2019/07/3-lessons-to-live-life-on-brand.html
http://www.centerfordigitalengagement.org/2019/07/everything-you-need-to-know-about.html
http://www.centerfordigitalengagement.org/2019/06/how-to-have-successful-internship.html

Follow the CDE!
Twitter.com/DigitalEngager
Instagram.com/DigitalEngager
Facebook.com/CenterforDigitalEngagement

Check Out Dynamo's Social Media!
Twitter.com/DynamoMetrics
LinkedIn.com/company/dynamometrics

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019 Updates - My Year So Far

Google Analytics Individual Qualification

Welcome!