Welcome!


Welcome! My name is Jess and this is my story. I am 24 years young, and a senior at Eastern Michigan University. I am majoring in Public relations and double minoring in Marketing and Communication. I am currently a Social Media Manager for the Center for Digital Engagement, and an intern through the Ann Arbor SPARK program working with Dynamo Metrics. I have wanted to start a blog for years, but the fear of failure always held me back. How did I end up starting a blog? My internship actually requested that we start a blog and post two times a week. For me, this was a blessing in disguise. I could've cried tears of joy because the time had finally come to begin a journey that I had always wanted to pursue. 

People who know me well, know that I have always loved creative writing. I loved the way that the words are able to flow easily, and I never seemed to encounter writers block. I've always had a harder time writing extremely structured papers that leave no room for creativity. That is why I love the way that creative writing allows others to show the world what's really inside them. 

Writing is essential to the day to day mundane things like responding to emails and text messages, but my job is so much more than that. I love the way that social media and blog posts allow me to tap into my creativity, and really test my skills to see how well I can draw in an audience. The job can be hard, but I am up for the task.

During my time with Dynamo Metrics, I will be building Dynamo's online presence through social media and blog posts. I will also be seeking out government tech sources of information for Dynamo to follow on Twitter and LinkedIn. The first thing I had to do was learn about my company and go from there. Dynamo offers "decision support" by providing data and analytics to public administration and government officials. This eliminates the guesswork of where to spend money by demonstrating which options provide the biggest and fastest benefit.

During my first week, we spent our time setting up a Dynamo email account for me, giving me access to their social media, and I was learning a lot about the company and their expectations. I also began researching Dynamo's competition and researching potential tech sources that Dynamo can follow. We are now in the beginning of the second week, and I have created a content calendar, an initial blog post, and I've begun posting on LinkedIn and Twitter. I am looking forward to continuously keep improving Dynamo's social media presence!

While being the Social Media Manager, I began by posting on the Center for Digital Engagement's social media, as well as designing my very first blog post! Last Tuesday, we had our first SMM meeting where we discussed the requirements of the position. After that, we were given access to all social platforms and given the go ahead to begin posting! My very first blog post was reflecting on an Alumni Panel that took place Tuesday as well during the weekly cohort meeting. I shared the alumni's best tips on how to have a successful internship! I am so excited to continue sharing, learning and growing during this experience. I will be back later this week to update you, so stay tuned!

- Jess

Follow Me!

Check Out My First CDE Blog Post!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Google Analytics Individual Qualification

2019 Updates - My Year So Far